Re: rear shock conversions

To: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: rear shock conversions
From: erl@unix.mail.virginia.edu
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:35:54 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: "James A. Ruffner" <erl@virginia.edu>, Gregory Damron <dogaboodogs3@hotmail.com>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Mmdf-warning: Parse error in original version of preceding line at mail.virginia.edu
I stand corrected.  I looked at the diagrams, and yes, there is the piece
that bolts to the old lever shock points on the frame.  However, from an
engineering point, the three angular pieces, along with all the bolts
that can work loose, present far to much possibility for flex/movement
of the whole system, with stress on the body.  The single, welded strut
that directly mounts to the frame, is, from an engineering point of view,
the best, IMHO.

Cheers.

 On Wed, 18 Oct 2000, David Massey wrote:

> Message text written by "James A. Ruffner"
> >I've used the VB single unit replacements, and found them most
> satisfactory.
> They require no modifications to the body, and the body on these cars is
> NOT
> structured  to carry the forces generated by wheel rebound.  The
> three-piece
> designs require that you drill holes into the body, and then the body, not
> the
> frame, absorbs the impact.  The one piece is a simple bolt-up to the old
> lever
> shock mounting points on the frame.
> <
>
> The three piece mounts do, indeed, transfer the force to the frame.  One
> piece mounts to the shock mount under the body.  The second piece mounts in
> the trunk area to the first piece.  The third piece, the shock mount,
> attaches to the second piece through the inner wheel well.  The forces are
> transfered to the frame and the body sheet metal is sandwiched between the
> various pieces.
>
> That said, the three piece mounts require one to drill 16 largish holes in
> awkward places in the coachwork.  If given the choice buy the single piece
> models that bolt to the frame.  I took mine off and now I have 16 holes to
> deal with.
>
> Dave Massey
> 57 TR3
> 71 TR6