Re: rear shock conversions

To: "James A. Ruffner" <erl@virginia.edu>
Subject: Re: rear shock conversions
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2000 11:16:11 -0400
Cc: Gregory Damron <dogaboodogs3@hotmail.com>, "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net> charset=ISO-8859-1
Message text written by "James A. Ruffner"
>I've used the VB single unit replacements, and found them most
satisfactory.
They require no modifications to the body, and the body on these cars is
NOT
structured  to carry the forces generated by wheel rebound.  The
three-piece
designs require that you drill holes into the body, and then the body, not
the
frame, absorbs the impact.  The one piece is a simple bolt-up to the old
lever
shock mounting points on the frame.
<

The three piece mounts do, indeed, transfer the force to the frame.  One
piece mounts to the shock mount under the body.  The second piece mounts in
the trunk area to the first piece.  The third piece, the shock mount,
attaches to the second piece through the inner wheel well.  The forces are
transfered to the frame and the body sheet metal is sandwiched between the
various pieces.

That said, the three piece mounts require one to drill 16 largish holes in
awkward places in the coachwork.  If given the choice buy the single piece
models that bolt to the frame.  I took mine off and now I have 16 holes to
deal with.

Dave Massey
57 TR3
71 TR6