RE:TR4 - OD Gearbox Install

To: "randallyoung@earthlink.net" <randallyoung@earthlink.net>, Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE:TR4 - OD Gearbox Install
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 22:00:39 -0500
Randall,
Since the ball is a pressure relief valve, I'd assume that the spring pressure
on the ball
is approximately that exerted by the 400+/- psi on the other side.  However
when the
mainshaft stops spinning (and actuating the OD pump), then without the spring,
there
might be less pressure on the ball keeping it sealed (if the spring is
missing), which
would allow the accumulator to leakdown more quickly. Otherwise why have the
spring at all?

-Tony

Message text written by INTERNET:owner-triumphs-digest@autox.team.net
>From: Randall Young <randallyoung@earthlink.net>

I'd like to respectfully suggest that, if the ball seals at all, the
force of the oil pressing on the ball is going to be far greater than
the force of that little spring.

Assuming the ball seat is 1/8" in diameter, 400 psi of oil would exert
about 5 pounds of force on the ball.  I haven't tried to measure the
force of that spring, but it's surely much less.
<