re:TR4 - OD Gearbox Install

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>, Brian Sanborn <sanborn@net1plus.com>
Subject: re:TR4 - OD Gearbox Install
From: Anthony Rhodes <ARhodes@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 10:22:02 -0500
Brian,

It is great that it is working!!!!!  You did a good thing making that pressure
tester.
You definitely need to keep the pressure relief ball in the guts of the valve,
otherwise
it is always popped-off.

I am told that the accumulator should hold pressure for a long time (more than
10 minutes).
Mine holds pressure so that over a whole 8+ hour day it still reads pressure.
Brian Schlorff
tells me that GOOD accumulator seals will hold pressure with only a hundred or
so PSI  drop
overnight.   I did not replace my seals and they were not that good.....

However, unless you used an original bolt for the pressure tester, maybe you
are not seating the
pressure relief ball perfectly, resulting in pressure loss.....  Schlorff
drilled out an original bolt with a small
hole which would not disturb the seat and then welded on adapters to the gauge.

-Tony

>From: "Brian Sanborn" <sanborn@net1plus.com>
I was considering suicide when we ran up the OD and got a big fat
zero reading.  I checked the gauge with air and it worked...
tried it again... nothing.  After the suicide option seem like a
bad idea we started using our brains and figured we were doing
something wrong.  It turns out that the accumulator pressure
comes in at the top of the operating valve and when the ball is
lifted by the solenoid... is delivered to the pistons through a
passage further down the hole.  The steel ball had to be in to
allow the pressure to build up for the gauge.  So we put the
steel ball from the operating valve stuff back into the hole to
simulate the condition when the operating valve plug is
installed.  With that change made and the gearbox back up to
speed...  in about 3 secs the gauge was climbing to 100 pounds
and rose smoothly to about 460 and the pump pressure relief valve
kicked in for a solid 450.   I was also happy to see that it took
at least 10 mins for the pressure to fall back under 50 pounds
which meant that all the new seals were working fine.