Re: Proper location of TR6 radio antenna

To: hfader@usa.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Proper location of TR6 radio antenna
From: corey.sherman@rcn.com
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 08:45:36 -0500 18, 2001) at 01/05/2002 08:45:40 AM, Serialize complete at 01/05/2002 08:45:40 AM
>The previous owner of my TR6 had the radio antenna velcroed onto the
>windshield pillar. I would like to install it in the proper location. I
have
>taken a look at quite a few pictures and sometimes it appears on the
left,
>sometime on the right. Which is correct? Where should the hole be? In the
>fender?

This has been a question I've pondered for quite some time as well. I
compared all my printed material and did visual comparisons to other TR6s.
The original US brochures from 1973 to 1976 display the antenna attached
to the Left front fender, a fair distance before the door mounted sports
mirror. But for cars 1972 and prior, all bets are off - radios were
optional, often pictured without one installed.

On my own 1971 TR6, the antenna is mounted on the "right"
(passenger-side), which I believe is correct for that year. What is quite
different is that it is located on the Scuttle Panel rather than mounted
on the fender. I replaced the original antenna with a flush-fit retractable
model, and
the tube extends into the cab/passenger foot well (almost flush to the
fender wall). The only inconvenience since I keep the antenna retracted, I
often forget to extend it - forcing me to stop the car, get out and walk
around to pull it out when I want to listen to the radio - this is
probably why BL changed the location of the antenna in later models.
In Bill Piggott's book, there are several pictures with early TR6s and
TR250 antennas mounted on the right-side scuttle panel (p14, 18). Of
course, no one can vouch for the authenticity of those cars, and some are
RHD.

I prefer the scuttle panel, only because it maintains a clean look and the
straight line of the fender. Although, if I had a choice, I'd mount it on
the driver's side of the scuttle panel.