Proper location of TR6 radio antenna

To: "Hugh Fader" <hfader@usa.net>
Subject: Proper location of TR6 radio antenna
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2002 11:51:42 -0500
Cc: "[unknown]" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Message text written by "Hugh Fader"
>The previous owner of my TR6 had the radio antenna velcroed onto the
windshield pillar. I would like to install it in the proper location. I
have
taken a look at quite a few pictures and sometimes it appears on the left,
sometime on the right. Which is correct? Where should the hole be? In the
fender?

Also, does anybody have advice about how to install a modern stereo? It
seems like the mounting hole will have to be cut to fit a DIN type system.
<

Hugh,

The antenna location changed at some point.  On my 71 it is mounted on the
right side of the front scuttle.  On my 74 (now someone else's) it was
mounted on the front, left hand wing (fender).  In the latter location the
driver of a left hand steer vehicle can retract it from the driver's seat.
The scuttle mounted antenna was non-retractable (into where?  the passenger
footwell?).

Since it has been determined that the radios were dealer installed it is
quite likely that the antennae were also and the location may have been at
the whim of the installer.  It this is the case then put it where ever you
like.  But bear in mind that a non-retractable antenna presents a problem
when putting on the car cover.  I had to cut a hole for the antenna.  :-(

As far as fitting in a larger radio, many folks have opened up the
aluminium yoke which is at times unfortunate as these are out of production
and replacements are not to be found.  My DPO did that but since my car is
not concour nor will it ever be I have no problem with that.  There are
many two shaft radios that fit quite well once this has been done.

Cheers

Dave