Help needed with Fuel Pump pressure ??

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Help needed with Fuel Pump pressure ??
From: "Glen Johnson" <glen@littledevil.com.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 08:33:11 +1100
I am running a 2500 motor (in a 1977 2500 S saloon) that is fitted with twin
1-3/4" SU's.  At high revs in all gears I intermittently get a drop off in
power that feels as if my wheels are slipping in water.  I have had a new
clutch, new diff, gearbox rebuild etc as part of the restoration work I am
doing.  I am told that the fuel pump (which is the standard mechanical type)
is not producing enough pressure or not maintaining pressure over time and the
result is that the engine is experiencing fuel starvation at higher revs
(anything over 3500 RPM produces intermittent problems).

Can anyone tell me what pressure I should see at the point where the fuel
enters the float bowls (i.e. the end of the pipe coming out of the fuel pump)?

My pump has the hand primer and I am led to believe that you can connect up
the gauge and use the hand primer to see what sort of pressure you get after a
few presses.  I am also told that you should watch the pressure gauge and see
if the pressure drops off.

Does anyone have experience in checking this and what numbers should I look
for?

Panic I have a Classic CAR rally to go in in four days time NYARGH !!!!
__________

Glen Johnson
Head of Creative Services

Little Devil Media