RE: Help needed with Fuel Pump pressure ??

Subject: RE: Help needed with Fuel Pump pressure ??
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 15:31:33 -0800
Ok, I'm going to weigh in on the other side of this, and say that fuel
delivery at high rpm can easily be a problem, if there is any sort of
restriction in the fuel line.  Checking pressure right at the carb, with the
engine operating under load, is a simple and good way of eliminating the
possibility.  Paper element fuel filters are a frequent source of such
problems, any water in the fuel may cause the fibers to swell and close the
pores.  I've driven home more than once in a car that won't run over 45 mph,
due to a partially clogged fuel filter.

Plugging the vacuum advance should have no effect on peak power, since the
advance is not active with the throttle wide open.  It likewise is very
unlikely to be the source of your problem.  Even with the line to the
advance completely open, the resulting vacuum leak is negligible at high
rpm, WOT.

Mechanical advance might be a problem, if for instance the springs were off
allowing the weights to flop around ...

Randall