Re: Help needed with Fuel Pump pressure ??

Subject: Re: Help needed with Fuel Pump pressure ??
From: Pete & Aprille Chadwell <pandachadwell@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:01:36 -0800
>I am running a 2500 motor (in a 1977 2500 S saloon) that is fitted with twin
>1-3/4" SU's.  At high revs in all gears I intermittently get a drop off in
>power that feels as if my wheels are slipping in water.  I have had a new
>clutch, new diff, gearbox rebuild etc as part of the restoration work I am
>doing.  I am told that the fuel pump (which is the standard mechanical type)
>is not producing enough pressure or not maintaining pressure over time and the
>result is that the engine is experiencing fuel starvation at higher revs
>(anything over 3500 RPM produces intermittent problems).

Glen:

I'm going to come down on the side of ignition on this one.  My
understanding of a mechanical-type fuel pump is that either it's
broke or it's not.  I understand there are rare cases where a fuel
pump can behave erratically, but they are rare.  A good general rule
of thumb to go by is this:  If you think it's fuel, it's probably
ignition.  Ignition problems are very commonly misdiagnosed as fuel
problems, in other words.

Does this car have the breaker points type ignition or have you
converted to electronic?