TR3A 10"rear brakes wheel cylinders, etc.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3A 10"rear brakes wheel cylinders, etc.
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 22:33:52 EST
Disassembled the rear brakes to resolve a cronic (but not lethal) binding
problem I've experianced last driving season. Found some grease in the rear
drum/shoes (left/driver side) which may be the problem, along with alot of road
grime/brake dust.
-- The grease is probably my over zealous packing when I replaced the axle
seals a year or two ago and not a recent concern --
Removed the adjusters, cleaned and now are free and easy. Removed the wheel
cylinders and am contemplating a new rebuild kit, though the pistons are tight
and cannot be removed by hand. Is this an indication they are fine? The
marking on the cylinders are "Girling 64673305", "BS12" on one, "BS9" on the
other.
Any advice on the bore size, based on these markings? Rough measure seems to
be .75". These are slotted piston ends.

I also found that the dust covers are missing on both wheels aas are the felt
bushings for the steady posts too. Are these really required? They are cheap
enough, just wondering why they aren't there. Otherwise all is as seen in the
diagrams.

>From the looks of it these seem to be early 10"ers, which would apparently go
with the approximate commission /engine/EB numbers of 38,450 ... or so.

Any comment welcome. TIA.

Best Regards,
Ed (58 TR3A)