RE: TR3A 10"rear brakes wheel cylinders, etc.

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: TR3A 10"rear brakes wheel cylinders, etc.
From: "Randall Young" <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 09:53:24 -0800
> Disassembled the rear brakes to resolve a cronic (but not lethal) binding
> problem I've experianced last driving season. Found some grease
> in the rear
> drum/shoes (left/driver side) which may be the problem,

Ed, I just got two and two put together here ... grease will not cause
binding, your problem is much more likely to be those stiff/stuck pistons.

However the heat caused by dragging brakes may well have melted the grease
in the wheel bearing, allowing it to run past the outer seal.  Normally
overgreasing is not a problem, since the inner seal leaks easier than the
outer and the grease just oozes out into the axle housing where it doesn't
hurt anything.

Although it looks bad, the dirt and dust inside the drum is not likely to be
the cause of the binding problem either.

Randall