Re: TR3A 10"rear brakes wheel cylinders, etc.

To: ryoung@navcomtech.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A 10"rear brakes wheel cylinders, etc.
From: Popnglo@aol.com
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2004 19:15:47 EST
In a message dated 02/11/2004 1:11:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:

> I just got two and two put together here ... grease will not cause
> binding, your problem is much more likely to be those stiff/stuck pistons.
>
> However the heat caused by dragging brakes may well have melted the grease
> in the wheel bearing, allowing it to run past the outer seal.

In retrospect ... since this is not the first time I've mentioned this
problem to the list. I seem to recall (a few months ago) when I started looking
into
this problem (not fixing it, just looking), I noticed that this left rear
brake (cylinder) did not seem to free up all the time at a slow, rolling stop.
did remove the drum at one time and with some help watched its action during a
down stroke ... it did seem sluggish on its return, however I just put it
back together and kept driving ... then. Now, with the weather here so fine for
"maintenance interval" it seems that I will go ahead and rebuild the
cylinders. Also, since I have time, cut the drums and if I can find somewhere
reline the shoes do that too (they do have about 1/4" on them, though just a
bit
scored.

Anyway, thats the brakes.

Thanks for the input,