RE: TR futures

To: "TeriAnn Wakeman" <twakeman@razzolink.com>,
Subject: RE: TR futures
From: "Paige, Dean" <DPaige@ci.santa-rosa.ca.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 15:24:22 -0800
Don't be so quick to pin the "Greens" as the ones committed to the demise of
LBC's in particular and classic cars in general. I myself am a degreed
Environmental Biologist. I believe earnestly in the protection of our
environment and have made it my life's work. I drive a 32 year old TR-6 bought
by me out of the showroom. It has been well maintained most of its life and
passed smog tests every 2 years during it's lifetime. It was for many, many
years my only transportation. I have had only 3 other cars since 1973; a 73
GT-6, an 85 Jag XJ-6 and a 98 Jag VDP. I sold the GT to another Brit car
fanatic and it too is still on the road. The XJ-6 would still be on the road
too if it hadn't been destroyed in an accident caused by the driver of a Ford
250 behemoth which nearly cost me my life. The VDP is in my to and from work
and car and go out for an evening on the town car and will likely be around
another 10 to 15 years at least based on its present excellent condition.
Consider that most folks buy a new car every couple of years,  that the
production of each automobile and the subsequent scrapping of most cars over 20
years old consumes massive amounts of energy and generates mass amounts of
pollution during the process.  Everything considered I figure I have done the
environment a favor by not contributing to rampant consumerism and its
environmental toll. Generalizations are always misleading.

Deano