Re: GT6: flywheel resurfacing?

To: Chris Bohn <cbohn@sidepipe.com>
Subject: Re: GT6: flywheel resurfacing?
From: Michael Porter <portermd@zianet.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 12:47:53 -0600
Chris Bohn wrote:

> Randall et al.:
>
> Isn't it still a major hassle to change out the rear engine seal even with
> the flywheel off?  Don't you still have to drop the oil pan, and undo the
> rear main cap and all that stuff?  Am I wrong in thinking that it is
> non-trivial to do all this stuff?  I ask because I am planning to replace
> the clutch in my 4A and I am just anal enough to obsess about needing to
> change out that rear seal...

The rear main seal on most of the six-cylinder engines is entirely
diffent. It is held in an aluminum carrier bolted to the rear of the
engine. It's about a ten-fifteen minute process to remove the carrier
and replace the seal.

The wet-sleeve engine is quite another matter.

Cheers.

--
Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking
distance....