RE: Starter update #2 -- now it's wiring

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Starter update #2 -- now it's wiring
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 23:10:34 -0700
btmfdchn@aol.com wrote :

> Greetings..   Randall, how much of what gauge wire did you use for the shunt.
>  I've heard something about 10 inches of 10ga.   TJ

I originally used several strands of steel "handy wire" (aka baling wire to
those who grew up on a farm).  With the ammeter out of the dash but hooked up, I
turned on the headlights and noted the original reading.  Then I added strands
of wire and retested until the reading was about 1/2 the original reading.  That
made full scale roughly 60 amps, which matched my alternator.  That setup worked
quite well for almost 20 years of daily driving.  Sorry, I don't know what gauge
the wire was, or how many strands I used.  Strictly a cut and fit operation.

However, I made some measurements and calculations the last time this subject
came up, that said 4" of 16 AWG solid copper should work just as well.  The
desired resistance is 1.2 milliohms (for the two TR3 ammeters I checked), which
could also be met with about 14" of 10 AWG if you like.

Randall