RE: scam alert - I Think!

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: scam alert - I Think!
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2005 01:19:20 -0700
> I don't see how. IE does not have access to your e-mail address.

It does, actually, if you've ever setup Outlook Express ... it's stored in the
registry where any program can find it.  My spam level went down noticeably
after I hunted down all the copies of my email addy in the registry, and
polluted them.  The version of Outlook (not Express) I was using at that time
did not use the registry email address at all, but the one I use now does ... so
I made sure that the first address in the registry is a bogus one (Outlook
supports multiple addresses).

> I look through my web server logs periodically, and I have never
> seen a request string that contains the user's e-mail address.

One mechanism that has been suggested to me is a reference to a FTP file ...
supposedly the default configuration is to supply the user's email address as
the user name for anonymous FTP access.  But like I said, I don't know, I'm just
repeating a theory one of my friends offered me.

> More likely, your reverse DNS record has some information that
> can be used to contact you by e-mail.

Not possible in my case.  The mail I received from the site I surfed was
addressed to my 'work' email addy, but I was surfing at home through an entirely
different domain, subnet and ISP.

It's entirely possible of course that it was a bug in the versions of software I
was running at the time, and that particular exploit has since been plugged up.
But it just seems like too much of a coincidence to have received spam from a
site that I was just surfing, with my email address on it.  They must have found
it somehow.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org