1980 TR7 questions

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1980 TR7 questions
From: "The Barneck Family" <dougbee@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 17:46:17 -0600
I have a couple questions reagarding a 1980 TR7 spider that I am looking at.
I am used to TR6s and am not familiar with the TR7s...

There is a somewhat loud clicking noise upon acceleration.  I had my son
listen and he thinks it is centered under the car.  When you let up on the
accelerator, it goes away.  I tried the wiggle the back of the driveshaft, but
it didn't seem to have any play in it.  It still seems like a u-joint issue.
It doesn't seems to be coming from the rear end.  Any ideas?

This one is fuel injected but I know others have dual carbs.  why the
difference?

Also, this one accelerates briskly until you get up to 3000 rpm.  If you push
on the accelerator more it justs cuts out like there is no gas.  It does the
same thing in all of the gears (5spd).  Any ideas on the cause of the
problem?

Is this a desirable car and worth saving?  It has no rust through but the body
has some surface rusting and needs a complete paint job, it starts and idles
nicely, odo shows 59,000 miles, has the original rims, top and interior are in
very good shape, power brake booster.  Any opinions?

What should I look for before purchasing it?  Asking price is a little over a
$1000.

I am soliciting opinions....

DougB

===     http://www.vtr.org