Re: 1960 TR3 thermostat

To: triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1960 TR3 thermostat
From: Steven Newell <steven@newellboys.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:18:21 -0600
John Herrera wrote:

>> Looks like the TR3 needs a new thermostat.  I haven't taken the old
>> one out yet, but I see that Moss offers both a sleeved and regular
>> thermostat.  Any suggestions from the list as to which I should
>> order, or do they both do an adequate job?
>
> Mine ran noticably cooler with the sleeved thermostat versus the
> unsleeved.
> Or you could save some money and block the bypass.

I found that my TR4 runs much cooler with the new Moss 160F sleeved
stat, though I installed the yellow fan at the same time (replacing the
broken original fan) so I'm not sure how much was the thermostat. I
think someone suggested the sleeved thermostat opens partially at a
lower temp and takes more time to open fully, which may be why in cooler
weather the car runs much cooler -- it opens earlier and ambient temps
and my Super Duper Yellow Fan keep it from getting any hotter.

With local Denver temps in the 50's and 60's the car isn't hot enough to
give up much heat for my feet, so I'll need to install a 185 thermostat
for the winter. Or find those electric socks I used in the old jeep.

Steven Newell
Littleton CO USA
'62 TR4 x 2 etc.

===     http://www.vtr.org