Re: I'm putting a Ford 302 V8 in my TR3 like Paul and Tom . . .

To: iron_horse819@yahoo.com, hoyt@cavtel.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: I'm putting a Ford 302 V8 in my TR3 like Paul and Tom . . .
From: zoboherald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 11:13:01 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Raymond Hatfield <iron_horse819@yahoo.com>

FWIW, I don't know the exact dimentions about the Powerglide, but from
what I
remember about them from my hot rodding days they ARE quite small for an
automatic.  I do know Triumph did fit an auto (I assume a BW) to a
couple of
TRs as a trial, and I can say that the TH350 and the TH700R4 both fit
in my
wife's Stag without altering the floorpan in any way.

==AM==
True, but then the Stag (and the 2000 sedan on which it was based) was
designed at the outset to accommodate the BW gearbox as well as the
"normal" four-speed manual gearbox.

And the TR3A in which the BW gearbox was fitted had noticeably narrower
footwells than did the manual gearbox car, according to archive photos
I've seen. Of course, back then "proper" sports cars simply did NOT
have automatic transmissions, so perhaps the point was moot. ;-)

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>

===     http://www.vtr.org