Re: I'm putting a Ford 302 V8 in my TR3 like Paul and Tom . . .

To: "TR" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: I'm putting a Ford 302 V8 in my TR3 like Paul and Tom . . .
From: "Paul Willoughby" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 07:52:08 -0700
----- Original Message  from Hoyt-----
At the moment, I'm leaning toward a TR3S-inspired, TR6-framed car.
Reply from paul:
I believe that Roger Williams book references a "TR3 beta" which mounts a TR3
body shell on a TR4 frame.  It's probably a solid axle TR4 frame, might not
work with a TR6 chassis, but worth looking into.  Sounds like a great
conversion to me.

----- Original Message from Teri-----
I'm surprised you guys aren't going for an aluminum V8.  There are a lot
of aluminum V8 Range Rover classics hitting the wrecking yards these days.
Reply from paul:
Also a good choice.  There is a gentleman in Venice with a Rover V8 TR3.  Fits
very nicely.  It's also a very popular choice for the MGB V8 conversion crowd.
But for me, the small block Ford has that Carroll Shelby Cobra mystique.

-----Original Message from Andy-----
Just out of curiosity, do you remember anything about that conversion,
particularly use of the Powerglide box? One of the "problems" that
folks (including Standard-Triumph) encountered with the ubiquitous
Borg-Warner 35 automatic box is that it was so wide and took up a lot
of interior room, not to mention often requiring some rather drastic
chassis alterations. Is the Powerglide narrower than the B-W box?
Reply from paul:
Don't know about the Borg/Warner, but I put a Ford AOD automatic transmission
in my TR3.  Definitely required a larger trans tunnel and widening of the
frame x-member.  There is still ample footwell room, however.  It was a pain
to make it fit, but well worth it when idling at 0-2 mph on the bumper to
bumper Los Angeles freeways.

Paul w.
Torrance, CA
1964 TR4 (bone stock)