Re: [TR] Advice on front brakes

To: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Advice on front brakes
From: philip ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2006 23:25:18 -0500
On Apr 3, 2006, at 7:00 PM, Bob Labuz wrote:

> On Monday 03 April 2006 10:32 am, pethier@isd.net wrote:
>
>> TRs can have sudden wheel-bearing issues.  Ask me how I
>> know.
>>
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier/80619776/
>>
> Phil,
>
> I have to ask, did the nut that holds the whole hub and bearing on
> the axle
> also fail? Or did the bearing fail in such a way as to leave the
> nut and
> washer in place? It looks like the hub actually is detached from
> the axle.
>
> Bob

The nut did not fail, but it did come off.  I think the cotter pin
must have failed to allow this.

I think the shop may have tightened the bearing too much, but there
is no way to prove this.  The wheel did not rattle when I shook it,
so the bearing was not running loose before the incident.

1962 TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1994 Miata C package
pethier@isd.net
http://forum.mnautox.com/forums/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier

===     http://www.vtr.org