RE: [TR] Advice on front brakes

To: "'Ned Smith'" <smithn00@kitepilot.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Advice on front brakes
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 13:45:10 -0700
> The nut did not fail, but it did come off.  I think the cotter pin
> must have failed to allow this.

Phil, was there a proper 'D' washer under the nut ?  Was it still intact
after the separation ?

Did you manage to recover any bits of the cotter pin ?

> I think the shop may have tightened the bearing too much, but there
> is no way to prove this.

If the failure was caused by the bearing being too tight, there should be
signs of either overheating (blue) on the rollers and/or races; or spalling.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org