Re: [TR] Advice on front brakes

To: "pethier@isd.net" <pethier@isd.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Advice on front brakes
From: "chris simonsen" <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 18:56:08 -0400
Ouch. Brings back bad memories...

I had a simlar experience in a 1971 VW fastback (similar to the old station
wagon).

I was delivering pizzas running down the hiway at 65 mph.  Suddenly the car
pulls to the side,  I put the brakes on and it straightens up.  Let off the
brakes and away she goes again. When I finally got it stopped and off the
road, it looked much like your car.  Well actually not at all like your
car,  only the front wheel attitude looked like your cars......

Lucky for me it was the bearing under the nut  that failed and the rotor was
strong enough to hold on....  I learned to be much more careful when packing
my wheel bearings from there on out.  Apparently the mechanic (me) did not
allow enough slack in the bearing.....

Chris

63 TR4 (with very carefully greased wheel bearings)
54 TR2 (sleeping on the lift above the tr4)

===     http://www.vtr.org