Re: [TR] Advice on front brakes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Advice on front brakes
From: "chris simonsen" <ccsimonsen@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:29:22 -0400
On 4/11/06, Randall <tr3driver@comcast.net> wrote:

> If the failure was caused by the bearing being too tight, there should be
> signs of either overheating (blue) on the rollers and/or races; or
> spalling.

In my catastophic case, the spnidle broke at the bearing that froze.  The
nut and bearing (presumbably the washer, too) and the end of the spindle
were welded together.  I tried to separate them later and was unsuccessful.
I keep that piece of the spindle that broke off in my tool box as a reminder
to this day.

Don't let this discourage you from servicing your front bearings.  Just take
it as a reminder to follow the proper procedures to the letter.

Chris

===     http://www.vtr.org