RE: [TR] Followup question on car insurance.

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Followup question on car insurance.
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 12:56:42 -0700
> For other drivers at fault, however, am I in trouble?  Will the other
> parties insurance fail to value my TR4 properly and only give me depreciated
> value?

You're kidding, right ?

In theory, they should pay you the lesser of the "fair market value" or what it
costs to repair the damage to your car.

BUT, they are in business to keep money, not pay it out, and you are not their
customer.  So, most insurance companies (assuming the other party has one,
uninsured motorists are common here in CA) are going to give you the absolute
least amount that they figure will keep you from suing them.  And since the
longer they keep the money, the more interest they get to keep, you can also
expect it to take a long time to actually get a check.

So the safe assumption, IMO, is that without collision insurance you may as well
plan on paying out of your own pocket after an accident, no matter who is at
fault.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org