RE: [TR] Decarbonization

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Decarbonization
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 16:32:39 -0700
> Since the head is off of the 3B, not a practical solution  anyway.

I know that, Darrell, I was just kidding.

> For all Listers, if you could see the amount of carbon build up on the top
> of Pistons on motors that have been run a few miles I would say you would all
> be  saying "Off with her Head."

Honestly, it's never been that much of a problem for me.  My pistons seem to get
coated pretty quick, just a few thousand miles, and then don't build up much
beyond that.  Still run just fine.  But if I am putting back used pistons, I
usually take off the deposits with careful use of the wire wheel on my shop
grinder.

One caution, you should probably wear some sort of breathing protection while
working, and shower immediately afterwards.  If the pistons haven't been cleaned
since there was lead in the fuel, that "carbon" may be mostly lead oxide.  I
don't mean to sound alarmist, but I have a healthy respect for lead poisoning.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org