Re: [TR] Decarbonization

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Decarbonization
From: "Gerald M Van Vlack" <jerryvv@alltel.net>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 16:24:11 -0400
Group,

This is an interesting conversation and I'm sure one that has lots of
answers or opinions. I have mine as well. How much carbon is too much? How
does one know if they have too much without taking the head off and looking?
Once we look at the piston tops how is it determined that what we see is too
much? I think it's pretty subjective and boils down to making a decision
that what you see is too much based on some personal sense of getting a good
feeling about your decision.

Now if you are getting a lot of pre-ignition or run on when you shut it down
that could be an indication of carbon build up and some little tip getting
so hot and glowing that it ignites the gas before the spark plug has it's
chance participate in the whole process. Pity the poor plug that doesn't get
it's moment of glory, who among us doesn't like to cause a little explosion
once in awhile, plugs are no different. They don't like to get left out.

I seem to remember back in the old days of high test gas and leaded fuels
that the Parts Stores sold someone's magic elixir to remove the carbon in
one's engine by pouring it through the carburetor . I think the snake oil
guy who invented that stuff must have had a wonderful retirement on the
beaches of Miami or some likeness of Miami. Maybe he got caught up in Cuba
and never got back, who knows.

At any rate if anyone among us can define how to determine if I have too
much carbon build up in my engine without a tear down I'll buy them a beer
at the next TRF Summer Party after the Saturday night downtown show.

Happy Mothers Day to all the suffering mom's of our children and all of our
Mom's. We had ice cream with mine today who will turn 93 in 1 month.

Bless them all.

JVV