Re: [TR] Decarbonization

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Decarbonization
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Sun, 14 May 2006 19:44:30 EDT
Guys,
Decarbonization of the 3B's pistons was completed Saturday by Noon. Repair
operation time of 1.5 hours or so.  The one thing I picked up from Haynes  was
to grease the gaps around the circumference to prevent carbon from falling
into the cylinders.  Carb cleaner, WD-40 and a blunt instrument (my thumb
nail)
along with an old tooth brush did the trick.  Of course my nail is  worn back
on one side and quite gross looking at the moment. I finished by  polishing
the tops with Brasso, again a tip from Haynes.

The build up on 2,3 and 4 pistons was very significant and required the  most
effort.  Curiously as I said before #1 piston was very clean in  comparison
and took only moments to clean up.  That is the chamber with the  receded
exhaust valve???  I looked over the old gasket real carefully and  could find
no
evidence of leakage, but I wonder because the 3B has always liked  to run
hotter
than what I would consider normal.

I am hoping the rebuilt Head will be complete next week so I can return the
Ole Lady 3B to the ranks of Triumph's that run.

Cheers,
Darrell

===     http://www.vtr.org