Re: [TR] What's the WORST Car You've Ever Owned?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] What's the WORST Car You've Ever Owned?
From: Dan Buettner <danb@thelittlemacshop.com>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 07:55:53 -0500
A 2000 Volkswagen Turbo Beetle.  A blast to drive but the thing was in
the shop as much as it was in our garage.  Bought used in May 2003 with
15K on the clock, traded it in May 2004 with about 25K on the clock.
Should've known when the dealership hemmed and hawed about getting us
past service records there was a problem.

First bad sign was when I showed them on the lot that a tire was low,
and the sales guy said "I'm sure it's just an air pressure problem."  No
  kidding, really?  They said they checked it out but all they did was
pump it up - got it home and had to take it back for not one but two
nails in the tires.

Over the next 12 months VW proceeded to replace (under warranty) every
electrical component they'd replaced for the previous owners (most of
the major stuff!), including the 3rd or 4th oxygen sensor, rebuild the
entire sunroof assembly twice, replace the airbag harness twice, and
replace sundry other electrical bits that usually last a lifetime.

Worst thing was, it was always 1 or 2 days to diagnose the problem and
another 2 days to fix it later on after they'd ordered the parts.  If
they'd actually ordered the parts, that is, and received the correct ones!

We contacted the dealer and VW corporate asking them to please, please
take this lemon off our hands - it was clear to me there was something
hopelessly wrong with it, deep in the electrical system.  Nothing doing.
  They'd honor the used car warranty and that was it.  We added it up
and realized that we'd be spending upwards of $500 a month if the
repairs kept up at the same pace.  We decided if we were going to pay
anywhere near that much it would be for a better car, so we bought a new
Honda.

I will say that despite all the problems it never left us stranded - it
got to the point where the warning lights would go on and we'd just
laugh.  And it would go 120 MPH and feel like it was on rails.

Dan

===     http://www.vtr.org