Re: Tow Vehicle

To: mfrank@westnet.com
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle
From: David C Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 10:32:34 -0500
Mike;

You'll need to do some research on tow capacities for the various
vehicles you are considering.  Maximum tow weights will vary greatly for
a vehicle depending upon the motor, the type of transmission (standard or
automatic), and the rear axle ratio.  I went through this last fall when
I was seeking a tow vehicle for my MG Midget racer.  I didn't want a
full-size pickup because I didn't like the idea of driving one around
town when I wasn't towing something.  I settled on a Ford Ranger with the
4.0 liter engine and automatic transmission.  It has a 3.55 rear end and
is rated at 5900 pounds towing capacity.  However, I would NOT tow
anything more than my Midget on its small open trailer (probably less
than 2300 pounds overall) for long distances.  It tows that much fine,
but I think with much more weight the trailer would be driving the truck.
 And the truck would wear out rapidly.

In my research I was surprised to learn that a manual transmission Ford
full-size F150 pickup has almost uselessly little towing capacity.  You
really have to get the automatic transmission and larger engines to get
any useful capacity.  On the other hand, a Toyota Tacoma was rated at
5000 pounds (with 3.4 liter engine) regardless of manual or automatic
transmission.  On the Fords there is also an endless number of rear-end
ratios that affect the capacity, whereas there is no choice with a
Toyota.  I don't know how the Chevys are configured because I didn't
consider them.

This all becomes even more complicated when you are looking at used
vehicles, because it is sometimes difficult to figure out what rear axle
ratio it has and whether it came with a tow package.  Also, it is
difficult to get tow capacity information for old cars and the capacities
of the new ones may not be relevant because it can change from year to
year.  Look over the driver's manuals carefully and know what you are
buying.

A Blazer, I think, is much too small for what you are proposing.  Forget
the El Camino and Impala.  My father has a Tahoe that he tows a 17'
travel trailer across country (and sometimes a large speedboat), and he
is quite happy with it.

As others have said, it may be in your best interest to get as large a
vehicle (dually, etc.) as you can stand, particularly if you have the
space to park it.  I sometimes regret not having a greater capacity
vehicle, like when I recently had the opportunity to purchase a little
enclosed trailer that would have been perfect for the Midget, but a bit
too much for the Ranger.  Not necessarily because of the weight, but
because a closed trailer would be much more subject to side winds and
would blow the relatively light-weight Ranger around.

A friend has a big Dodge turbo-diesel pickup that will tow a heavy
trailer and car without even straining.  It gets great mileage and the
fuel is cheaper, too.  Problem is, his wife loves the truck more than she
loves him, and won't let him take it out of state.  This has become a
real issue as we need a truck large enough to pull a trailer with his
Midget and mine on it to Watkins Glen in September.  Drat!  Anyone going
from Texas to New York for the Vintage Grand Prix with a little room for
another car?

David Littlefield
Houston, TX

On Tue, 03 Jul 2001 20:14:49 -0400 Michael Frank <mfrank@westnet.com>
writes:
> This list has been pretty quiet lately. Here's a little problem I'm
> working
> on, perhaps some of you can help.
>
> My car will (finally!) be ready  at the end of this month, and I'm
> doing a
> quick hunt for a tow vehicle. I have the loan of a trailer for the
> rest of
> this season. I don't know all the particulars, but it weighs in at
> about
> 3500lbs, including a well stocked tool box, and has electric brakes
> :-).
> The car is around 2200, which means I need a vehicle that can pull a
>
> 6,000lb load. My thinking is to buy a decent used truck, at least
> for this
> year, and either rework it over the winter, or replace it with
> something
> better when I have more time.
>
> After giving it some thought, I think the best bet is a Chevy
> something,
> with a 350 engine. I figure the 350 is as generic as it gets, if it
> breaks,
> you can probably find a spare at any hardware store, in the "crate
> motor"
> aisle. My question is, how heavy a truck will I need? I'm certain a
> Suburban or Yukon would work fine, but could I get away with
> something a
> little smaller, like a Blazer? And would it be possible to use
> something
> cooler, like a short bed Stepside,  El Camino or Impala SS? Is a
> high stall
> torque converter desirable? What rear axle?
>
> Thanks,
> Mike Frank

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!