Re: Tow Vehicle

To: Michael Frank <mfrank@westnet.com>
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle
From: Stan Hanks <stan@tta.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 13:51:28 -0700
> Is anyone using a Range Rover as a tow vehicle...the local Rover dealer
> says they can pull 7500lbs, and used ones are reasonably priced. Is this a
> real option, or is would I be buying a problem? (My wife loves the way they
> look, at least there's domestic tranquility with this choice.)

Well, I use a Discovery. It's roughly the same drivetrain as the RR.

The real issue is that you can't pull a REALLY BIG trailer. I've got a
lightweight unenclosed two axle electric brake trailer (with a "shell"
covring the car) and a fairly light car.  If you aspire to pull a long
enclosed trailer then you're probably not looking at a enough truck.

Also note that the 7500 is in *LOW RANGE*. High range is a a lot smaller.
The manufacturer is also a bit conservative on what you can tow, but
don't count on a factor of two or anything.

There are also some other issues -- the RR doesn't have nearly the headroom
or interior space that the Disco does, etc. If the RR works for you
otherwise, take a long hard look at the owner's manual on the towing
section, and think about your requirements.

Stan