Re: Tow Vehicle

To: "Vintage Racing List" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 23:24:23 -0500
Shhhh!   I'm  trying to keep it my secret but there is a very good option in
the low-buck tow field.  Straight sixes have always been great truck engines
but until fuel injection, it was impossible to get good fuel distribution
and they tended to be inefficient.  With port injection, they are frugal and
have great trailering torque:  the Ford 4.9 six had lots more torque than
the 302 V8 and more torque than the 351 up to like 3800.  They are near
indestructible; the engine of choice for Fed-Ex and UPS for lots of years.
A good old straight six FI 4.9 Ford F150 or F250 long cab  is a "keeper".
Note that the newest Chevy SUV has a straight 6 with 24 valves and variable
valve timing.  270 hp out of an under 300 cube engine, 275 ft lbs of torque
with 250 available at 1800 rpm.

Verrrrrrrrrrrry Interesting!

Tony_______________________@Sherman.Texas