Re: Demolition Derby at the BRIC

To: "Craig Wright" <Craig245@cox.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Demolition Derby at the BRIC
From: "Carl McLelland" <carlynneracing@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 09:40:37 -0700
Truly unfortunate, and avoidable. Fortunately nobody paid the ultimate price.

There are so many issues here that could be addressed that directly/indirectly
contributed to this melee' it would take a book to address all of them.

I primarily race with HSR-West. Topper Chasse', a driver with over forty years
amateur and professional competition experience, usually drives the pace car.
Topper will come down the grid before going on a board and remind everyone
that he's giving us a fast warmup lap, but when he gives the "form on me"
signal he wants a TIGHT formation! Thus, we get time to warm brakes and tires,
and time to form up. I've also been in grids described below and can affirm
that they are, indeed, chaotic!

An item that should be addressed in drivers meetings is starts. Get everyone
on the same sheet of music for what I consider the most dangerous aspect of
racing: green flag to turn 1 on lap 1. The grid should be formed and tight.
When the pace car pulls off into the hot pit the pole sitter is setting the
pace. This is supposed to mean the same pace set by the pace car before
pulling off; not FLAT in anticipation of a green flag!

One last thing... It is the responsibility of each and every one of us, when
we see something that is unsafe, to do something about it. If you see someone
doing something unsafe, talk to them. If your "uncomfortable" with that, talk
to your Chief Steward. If it's an issue I guarantee that he (Phil Glumm with
HSR-West) will resolve it! I've seen simple chats resolve safety issues, and
I've seen people 'go on the trailer' when their attitude and ego remained
unchanged.

If something 'seems wrong', it probably is. Race defensively and race safe.

Carl McLelland,
Lotus 61 formula Ford
HSR-West competition driving instructor

---

  Subject: Demolition Derby at the BRIC

  This is from the group 6 BRIC race of July 17, 2005.  My understanding
  is that the pace car didn't control the field properly.  Jim said that
  the pace car was going too fast and the lead group got separated from
  the middle group on the pace lap.  The starter didn't give the green,
  but the middle group of cars, by now up to full race speed & trying to
  catch the lead group, couldn't see that,  Nor could they see the lead
  group of cars, which by this time were off of the gas and slowing down.
  17 cars received extremely major damage or were destroyed.   Nobody died.

  http://www.pbase.com/atrltd/bric2005

  Michael Eisenberg