Re: Demolition Derby at the BRIC

To: WSpohn4@aol.com
Subject: Re: Demolition Derby at the BRIC
From: Larry Dent <lwdent@localnet.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2005 08:29:14 -0500
Bill, I answered this but I think it only went to you.  Question was do
I feel the big bore vehicles cause the most trouble, and yes that is
generally true at the N.W. Historics, but the cause is more than just
the personalities of the drivers.  Big cars, fast cars, wide cars, big
fields and a few drivers without the experience you would like to see
in such a vehicle all are contributing factors, as well as the "red
mist".  I have gotten to know most of the "red mist" drivers and sort
of deal with them one on one.  It sometimes works.

Road America presents a lot of potential start problems due to the
trend of the field spreading out too much, combined with the uphill
lack of view of the start flag.

My experience has also been that the guys in the middle to back of the
pack with radios get a "green, green, green" in their ear and have a
big advantage over the guys with no radio.  that presents a whole
different potential problem in the middle areas.

When we first started these races,  I was an instructor for Skip Barber
at the Friday school at the first Chicago Historics for Joe Marketti,
then became the Chief Steward.  It was a "Vintage Demonstration" with
passing only on the straights, no diving passes in corners, no winners
declared, checker thrown on elapsed time, not the lead car.  My how
things have changed.

For the better?  I don't know but I'll guess a batch of big bore
drivers from the BRIK would have some comments.

Best regards to all,  Larry Dent

PS  An off topic comment.  I am actively running for SCCA Director from
Area 4, Central Division.  I have a BLOG web site at www.larrydent.com
and would appreciate any visits and comments.  And yes, I AM in the
midst of a mid life crisis, just a bit late of course!!!!