RE: TR6 capability

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, "6Pack"
Subject: RE: TR6 capability
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 07:55:23 -0800
        Don:

        I am hardly an expert, but that has never stopped me from shooting
my mouth off =:-o
        My reading leads me to believe that the simplicity and tunability
of the SUs are the reason for LBC owners' fascination with them. No more
power out of the box, but if you add a cam, header, etc, then tweaking
the SUs is trivial because of the large selection of needles and jets.
        There are other needles available for the ZS carbs, but they are
hard to find. I would think the later adjustable ZS carbs would at least
partially offset the SUs tuning options, but maybe not.
        One thing I have already observed that makes me think that the
SUs are better: They do not use a rubber diaphragm in the vacuum chamber.
They use a metal piston, so you need not worry about a puncture or that
the diaphragm will get tired or hard, affecting your mixture curve. For
that reason alone I am inclined to believe that they are superior.
        I understand that SU has (had?) a patent on the metal vacuum piston,
so ZS had to go with a rubber diaphragm. Does anybody know different?

        Cheers,

        Vance