RE: critiques of RWilliams book

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: critiques of RWilliams book
From: "Mike D'Ambrogia" <miked@jamagination.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2003 16:41:03 -0800
Easy now

I don't think that the issue is people being closed minded.  The bar
over the years has been raised to a higher level with various how-to
books, both in the auto industry as well as in the computer, home
building, and most other industries.  I think that there is a builtin
expectation that a howto book with actually show you how to, step 1
step2 step 3, machine it to this tolerance, buy these parts if you want
this performance level.  Not having read the book, my expectation would
be that by buying/reading the book that I would get step 1, step 2, etc
style knowledge imparted because these are things that you do when you
"Improve a TR6" based on the book title.

There are places to get step 1 step 2 info on building the tr6, but its
not all in one spot; this list for one, the buckeye site, kastner book,
and various other websites.  In reading the responses to my question on
"will this book show me how to strengthen my frame, should I buy it just
for that", nobody said that he should not have written the book.  What
did come across was that this book had a a title that made it sound like
it was a how-to book, and that those making that assumption were
disappointed when they bought the book.

My .02

Mike