Re: critiques of RWilliams book

To: triumph6970@netzero.com
Subject: Re: critiques of RWilliams book
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2003 10:05:48 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

Actually, high on my list of "things to do" is to write a critique of the
Williams book. I have no problems with someone writing such a book. No
problems at all.

I do have problems with people writing books posing as authorities on a
topic. Now I have no idea what Mr. Williams' credentials are, but near as
I can tell his credentials are as a writer as opposed to a do-er. Again,
there's nothing wrong with that per se.

What I do have a problem with is the relative lack of research that goes
into a lot of these books. Mostly my irritation is around the fact that
there is little or no process involved in contacting real resources like
Kas or JK Jackson or any of the other real authorities on the topics (on
this side of the pond). Sure the focus of the book is UK-centric, but most
of the freakin cars came to the 'States. Is there some slim chance that us
Yanks know any more about Triumphs than the Brits??? Think about it.

I'll post this again as I do have some "high ground" to defend (pun
intended). I'll take any questions about TR6 performance and try to answer
them. While I don't know everything about TR6 performance, I do know a
thing or two. I'm one of the "do-ers" out there. Actions speak louder than
words... 'nuf said.

rml
p.s. BUY Kas Kastner's new book. Makes a great stocking stuffer for the
wife and kids. :-)
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |