Re: Does 0.120" really get 9.5:1 compression?

To: "Timothy Holbrook" <tjh173@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Does 0.120" really get 9.5:1 compression?
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:53:18 -0500
> However, that being said, I
> don't think there's any difference between 9.5:1 with a thinner head or
> 9.5:1 with a thinner block.  Am I incorrect guys?
>
> Tim Holbrook
> 1971 TR6

Hi Tim and others,

I only see a few pitfalls with removing material from the block (other than
it is generally frowned upon).

1)    It is much easier to remove your cylinder head while the motor is
installed in the car, than to remove and disassemble your block.  Of course
this is no matter if you're doing a full engine rebuild anyway and
everything is out of the car.

2)    0.120" is a substantial amount and will most certainly end up in the
removal of the head gasket cylinder ring recesses on post 1972 engines.

3)    All of the cylinder head studs are now in being put into shallower
holes.  While it is good practice to remove the upper most portion of the
thread and counterbore the top of the stud holes during a rebuild, this just
complicates the matter further.

4)    AFAIK, all GT6/TR6 blocks are the same height, but not all of the
cylinder heads are the same height.  Later, lower compression heads having
more material at the bottom to create the low compression.  So from ths
point of view, it is more advantageous to remove material from the head than
the block.

Kai