Re: Does 0.120" really get 9.5:1 compression?

To: "Timothy Holbrook" <tjh173@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Does 0.120" really get 9.5:1 compression?
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kai@radiohead.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:08:56 -0500
I wrote earlier:

> I only see a few pitfalls with removing material from the block (other
> than it is generally frowned upon).

My reasons against removing material from the block were specifically in
regards to the measurement mentioned in the subject.  0.120" is a lot to
remove from a block.  As Vance and others have said, blocks should be
skimmed to ensure a flat deck and also to maintain or improve squish (which,
in addition to the other things Vance mentioned, increased squish is a good
detonation deterrent).

I saw a figure mentioned about the piston face standing proud of the block
deck by 0.015".  Nothing wrong with that, but I know quite a few engine
builders who try to achieve high levels of squish, rely less on that
measurement and prefer to measure piston to head clearance in addition (and
to favor that measurement).  You better have faith in your rods if you want
0.030 or less clearance between your head and pistons though.

Kai