Re: RE: Does 0.120" really get 9.5:1 compression?

To: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>,
Subject: Re: RE: Does 0.120" really get 9.5:1 compression?
From: Greg Dito <dito9561@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:35:18 -0500
Vance,

Yes, you're absolutely correct. I did not include the head gasket thickness.
And .015" off of the cylinder volume will increase the CR more than .015" off
of the combution chamber volume.

However, my impression is that some listers believe raising compression to a
like degree can be accomplished by either decking the block or milling the
head.  When an owner wants a TR engine bumped up to 9.5 CR there is no way that
this can be done just by decking the block.  On this point we both agree.
I believe Kas's Competition Manual added 0.5 to the CR when the block is
properly decked.

Increased CR may be the result of decking the block, but is it not more to
insure a flat sealing surface, more similar CR's in all cylinders, as well as a
perpendicular surface for other machine work such as cylinder boring?
Otherwise it seems to be a whole lot more trouble than simply cutting the head
to raise compression if complete engine disassembly was not part of the plan.

Ideally, yes, both block and head should be cut to insure a good sealing
surface, especially with a higher compression.  Again, though, there seemed to
be a basic misunderstanding about decking the block versus milling the head
with regard to raising compression.

Thanks for the clarification to my oversight.

Greg