Dieseling

To: alpines@autox.team.net
Subject: Dieseling
From: william.lewis@ucdmc.ucdavis.edu
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 17:21:04 -0700
I checked the compression in my newly rebuilt motor last night and I have
about 185 lbs.  This is at the top end of normal for a 1725 motor,
according to the manual.  I assume that decking the head and block will
raise the compression ratio, but does that raise the compression pressure
much?

I added some CD-2 to my gas and the run on seems a little better.  The
stuff doesn't say that it raises the octane, so the run on may be better
simply due to Sacramento cooling off about 20 degrees in the last few days.
I am going to try using higher octane gas, cooler spark plugs, octane boost
or Marvel Mystery Oil to see what prevents the run on completely.

On another matter, I took some 1/2" foam and made some covers for my gnat
straining spark arrestors.  I oiled them like on a lawn mower or motor
cycle.  I still have some high speed missing that improves with pulling out
the choke, so I don't think they are restricting the air flow much and
making the car run rich.  They are kinda goofy looking, but they should
help protect my motor and I can always slip them off when I want my motor
to look stock.

Bill Lewis