Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA

To: "Paul Foster" <pfoster@gdi.net>,
Subject: Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA
From: "Pete Gallo" <PeteG@ij.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 14:08:16 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>
To: Jay Mitchell <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Cc: team.net <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 1999 12:58 PM
>> You're assuming the CAR is responsible for this performance. If
>> you take the best DRIVERS and put them in a mediocre car, they'll
>> STILL win.
>
> LOL! Give me a break! That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever
> heard!

Not only do they (the national drivers) win in "slower" DS cars, some jump
to HS  or GS (slower classes) and still compete for top time of day!
Sometimes only loosing out to SP or higher classed cars, it's the driver
80-90%, the car is the rest.

For myself I don't get 100% out of the car so I can jump from car to car and
turn very nearly identical times,  the hot shoes get more out of the car
(hence into the 20-10% difference the car makes) then us mere mortals.

This whole things gets beaten to death, this is my turn: Because some folks
whip everyone by 5-10 seconds (let's talk stock classes) on a 50 second
course no matter what they drive, then folks complain it's the car
(whichever one they happen to be driving).  If I read the PAX correctly on a
50 second run SS is corrected to 41.5 and HS is 39.25.  That's 2.25 second
spread for 9 classes, when's the last time each person in the class was
within .25 seconds of each other (2.25/9)?  The classes are very close
because the performance of the cars is very close in autocross.  If a
Porsche turbo (ok is that in SS?) is only 2.25 seconds faster than a 4
cylinder Mazda 626 on a 50 second course why do the times vary by 15 or 20
seconds on such a course?  It's the driver.

Now if all the cars are so close, what's a mediocre car?  Must be one that
hasn't won nathionals yet... flame away and ttyl.