Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA

To: <autox@autox.team.net>, <washburn@dwave.net>
Subject: Re: Neon ACR and the SCCA
From: "Scott Phelps" <scott_phelps@gdt1.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 13:57:35 -0400

>>> washburn <washburn@dwave.net>wrote:

>From another note:
>Make it FWD and I will agree with you. Keep it RWD and I will say it is
>politics plain and simple. It is the same reason the BMW M3 is in CSP
>while the 944S and 924 Turbo are in ASP. There are some marques that are
>given preferential treatment: BMW, Honda, and now Chrysler.

I wish that before we make accusatory statements which directly imply
wrongdoing, dark dealings, and conspiricy by our freinds and neighbors,
we would be prepared to support them with facts.

O.k. - how's about this for facts:

Fiat X1/9.  Currently classed in DS, DSP, DP,

As far as other marques recieveing preferential treatment, how about those
marques who are underhandedly restricted by the rules?

Case A:   Classed in DS - 1500 cc injected cars have 75 hp, weigh 2100+ lbs.
Mid engine and handling be damned, this is not competitive against a 150 hp
2400 lb Neon.  This is proven at every event on the planet.

Case B:  Classed in DSP - An X1/9 won the national Championship, after years of
development by a number of folks, then SEB sez, hmmmm...  maybe we should move
it to CSP, where it won't stand a chance.  Hasn't happened yet, but the gears
are in motion.

Case C: Classed in DP - Hmm.... A "prepared" car, that's restricted to 14x6.5
wheels and a 36mm carb?  Gimme a break!   Same class, the miata is allowed 15x7
wheels, and a twin 40mm DCOE setup, why not let the fiat have it too?   Hell,
my street X1/9 is more prepared than that!

This my friend is politics at work in the SCCA.  Plain and simple.  Yes, this
is the reason I don't campaign an X1/9 at solo2 events, I would rather campaign
my Yugo and be free of any and all restrictions other than those spelled out in
the rules, which everyone must abide by.  If anyone thinks politics are not at
work in the SCCA, they're sadly mistaken.

Flame at will.

Scott Phelps
88 Yugo GVX EP (Who's allowed to run 15x7 wheels........and twin carbs)