Re: Another Question!

To: mitchell <mitchell@tdi.net>, "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Another Question!
From: Eric Moon <moon-7@blazenet.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:05:00 -0400
At 09:52 AM 6/10/99 -0400, mitchell wrote:
>Thanks for the posts and discussions re:  Mari's question.
>
>As a returning/newbie autox-er it might help me to hear:
>
>"What do you *think* about when on course?"
>
>Do you focus on:
>
>(a) the course:  anticipating upcoming sections, evaluating options, any
>surprises

Still being pretty green myself, I find that my first run is sometimes
surprising because things aren't always happening according to the way I
thought on my walkthrough.  Getting lost hasn't been an issue, but
sometimes what I thought would be the line when I walked, isn't the line I
end up driving.  A lot of times, I don't exit a turn where I think I'm
going to---entries are easier to predict.  All in all, I'm at least driving
the courses faster than I walk them ;-)

>(b) the car:  how it's handling, shifting, tire/engine/brake performance

Most of my mental energy goes here---FEELING the car.  My butt tells me if
I can go faster, turn in tighter, apply power earlier, brake later....or NOT!

>(c) the driver:  skill/technique, concentration, following a line,
>correcting mistakes

Don't spend any time with these.  Practice your techniques to the point
where they become natural and require no thought.  By the time you realize
you made a mistake, it's too late to fix it--save it for post-run
analysis--move ahead, look ahead.

>(d) all of the above
>
>(e) none of the above...a more intuitive approach

See (b)

>(f) how cool/fast your car must look :}
>
>(g) how it feels to be beating  *(fill in the blank)*  today ;~)

F & G can be distracting, so I try to push those thoughts away---clear my
mind, feel the car.  Besides, you can see how cool you look in photos or video.
At this point, I'm still not beating the people I WANT to beat, so thinking
about it only gets me worked up and clouds A & B.

>(h) Other?

There's nothing else in my world during a run.

Eric, taking a holistic approach to autocross.

Eric Moon
'92 Miata SOLO II  CSP
e-mail:        info@scca-susq.com
home:        (717) 221-8828