Re: Another Question!

To: mitchell <mitchell@tdi.net>
Subject: Re: Another Question!
From: Randy Chase <randyc2@home.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 07:48:24 -0700

mitchell wrote:
> "What do you *think* about when on course?"
>
> Do you focus on:
>
> (a) the course:  anticipating upcoming sections, evaluating options, any
> surprises
>
> (b) the car:  how it's handling, shifting, tire/engine/brake performance
>
> (c) the driver:  skill/technique, concentration, following a line,
> correcting mistakes

It occurs to me that this is a changing thing as you gain experience. A
novice driver spends near 100% of the time thinking about A, so there is
little time left for B or C. As they gain experience, less effort is
needed for A, and the focus shifts to mostly C.

Regarding B/C, I am feeling the car, considering the slip angles,
listening to the rpms and tires (screaming course workers). One of out
lots is under a flight path for the airport, and when a jet flies over,
it drowns out all the other sound. I was surprised at how *lost* I felt
with no audible feedback from my car.

I also am considering if I am at 10/10ths (or how close?) for the
segment I am on. A small amount of time is also spent looking at course
workers and cones down or out of the box. 8)

Randy Chase