Re: Is ballast legal in stock?

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <eric10mm@qni.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Is ballast legal in stock?
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:10:28 -0500
Eric responds:

>Ahh, but for argument's sake, show me where it specifically says
that I
>_can_ tint my windows.

Read my post. "Appearance, comfort, and convenience items ..."
Tinting windows meets the requirements of that section: it is for
appearance, comfort, or convenience, it doesn't improve the
performance of the car, and it doesn't reduce the weight of the
car. Ergo, the rules allow that.

>So I argue that the "if
>it doesn't say you can, you can't" rule is not always valid.

"Cars in Stock Category must compete
_as_specified_by_the_manufacturer (emphasis mine) except as
allowed elsewhere in these rules." I'd say that's exactly the
same as "if it doesn't say you can, you can't."

<snip>
>"Any oil or grease, including synthetic, is permitted."

That pretty well covers engine, transmission, and final drive
lubricants, as well as wheel bearing grease, etc.

>>>  It doesn't say that you can't use Red Line Water Wetter to
reduce
>your
>>>  coolant temperatures, but you can.

Presently, unless the car's manufacturer actually specifies an
additive like Water Wetter, I'd have to say that it's not
ltechnically egal in Stock. I'd also say that, if such an item
were ever protested, the protest would be disallowed, and a
clarification or reqording of the rules would be forthcoming.

>>Fluids are free.
>=======================
>I covered that misconception already.  Nowhere in the Stock
Class rules
>is it written that "fluids are free".  So are they?

No. Presently oil or grease is free. Brake fluid, coolant, and
power steering fluid are, technically speaking, not free.
However, given the very specific DOT ratings for brake fluid and
manufacturers' specs for ps fluid, I'd claim that ANY replacement
that met the mfr's. specs is legal. That still doesn't fully
cover something like Water Wetter, however.

>>>  If you can't already tell, I absolutely hate blanket
statements like
>"if
>>>  it doesn't say you can, you can't."

Then, apparently, you hate the Solo II rules. That's the basis
for every Category. You can only modify what's allowed in the
book.

 Jay