Re: Is ballast legal in stock?

To: "Craig Blome" <cblome@yahoo.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Is ballast legal in stock?
From: "Jay Mitchell" <jemitchell@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 11:22:54 -0500
Craig Blome wrote:

>"Accessories, gauges, indicators, lights and other
>appearance, comfort and convenience modifications
>which _have no effect on performance and/or handling_
>and do not materially reduce the weight of the car are
>permitted."
>
>Slopping 50# of paint on the car to change weight
>distribution qualifies as 'affecting handling'...

So does installing a 200 lb. power amplifier just behind the rear
seat, but that is allowed. Increasing the weight of a car
generally does have an effect on performance and/or handling. A
negative one. Realistically, I don't believe you could apply
enough paint to a car to affect its handling at autox speeds. And
if you managed to do that, I'll bet that most of your competitors
wouldn't mind that you had gone to all that trouble to make your
car slower.

Jay "it's still appearance" Mitchell