Re: Turbo guys get screwed again

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Turbo guys get screwed again
From: "Mac Crossett" <delta-v@kscable.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 17:30:38 -0500
> 2.  Effective 1/1/2000, add to 14.10.C: "Turbocharger and
> supercharger systems may only be updated/backdated with
> the accompanying engine unit."

> (Umm, kinda looks like a simple turbo swap will no longer be
> legal.)

> So.  Whaddaya think guys and gals?  Is it still gonna be
> worth it to swap the entire motor?

Well, it's pretty clear that the V-8 owners are trying to protect their
turf.  After all, ESP (soon to be FSP) is a V-8 pony car class!  Now, as
long as you've got an uncompetitive car, they'll tell you that you need to
pony up the cash and get a car that's competitive in the class.  Heaven
forbid, however, if a couple of very good drivers show up in well-prepared
formerly-uncompetive cars and challenge the status quo!  The rule is very
clearly written to preclude the 95+ Talons and Eclipses from running the
larger 14B turbo.  After all, a bone stock LS1 Camaro only makes 290+hp at
the wheels and can only run a 105mph quarter mile, while an ESP-preped LS1
might make a measly 111mph trap in the quarter!  They obviously can't
compete with a 2.0L turbo that might trap 100mph on a cold day!  We can't
make all those poor pony car drivers go out and buy (no longer produced) AWD
DSM's in order to remain competitive in their class.

This proposed rule change has nothing to do with "Turbo cars".  It's
specificly directed at one car in particular, in one class.  Somebody's
doing well in a class that identifies itself with V-8 power, and some egos
are getting bruised.  Maybe the saying is true that engine displacement is
inversely proportional to penis size???

(Ames seems to have managed to win with the smallest displacement engine of
the top 6, with only 4.6L...maybe driver skill and suspension work mean more
than horsepower?...naw, couldn't be!  It'll still be funny when Fedja beats
Strano with the smaller T-25 turbo at next year's National Tour event, tho!)

Mac "wearing a firesuit" Crossett
1996 Eagle Talon TSi AWD #49ESP