Re: ST @ Nationals

To: Paul Foster <pfoster@gdi.net>, Kevin Stevens <kevin_stevens@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: ST @ Nationals
From: Judy Becker <judyb@cts.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 1999 09:10:42 -0700
Here's another .02 1/2 cents worth.

ST was created. Drivers gave it a try. As they liked driving in the class,
they   began to invest in more time & money to prep their car. Seems this
is also the case with other SCCA classes as people gravitate towards the
class they're comfortable in.

Now after driving the car & enjoying it for a while , maybe the thought
crops up about going to Nationals. Lo & behold now ST drivers are told
they'll be bumped & will have to run in the SP classes.

But their cars are prepped for ST not SP!

Where is the anticipated sense of fun in competing with like prepped cars?

Granted, drivers going to Nationals for other classes are aware there is a
chance they'll be bumped. But to be told that the class you've been
prepping your car for & running in won't even be available leaves a big
question mark.

Also, re: ST, let's not forget, that for this class, sports cars are not
allowed. Which to me leaves 1/3 of the eligible type cars (coupes &
sedans)out & thereby may be part of the reason participation isn't as high
as expected.

If the idea is to get more people to start autoxing, then it seems to make
sense to allow/include more cars eligible for the class & there by attract
more drivers.

Just an observation.

Judy b.   {:>}
fun in the sun autoxing at Qualcomm Stadium, San Diego CA with a 1st gen
RX7 (getting the oversteer under control, it's been fun)