Re: karts

Subject: Re: karts
From: Engstrom <engstrom@onramp.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 1999 12:28:51 -0500
Jeff Christianson wrote:

> Another thing I don't understand about Karts, is why on earth is the SEB
> going to allow them to be DRIVEN between grid and impound.  This is against
> every safety rule put out on the karts and just plain goes beyond any sort
> of common sense.   To most of the tow rigs that are driving around the
> nationals site a cart is similar to bug, both in visibility and in what the
> driver will feel when running over one.  I just don't get it.

I remember talking to one of our region's F440 drivers last year at Nationals
as the karts made their way to impound.  The conversation went something
like this:

B:  Why don't they just let those karts drive to impound?

Me: Safety concerns, I guess.

B:  What's safer, a driver hunched over his kart pushing it to impound
where his vision is mostly down or a driver sitting in his kart where he
can see an oncoming vehicle and actually drive away from it if necessary.

Me:  Hmmmm, you're right.

John "No, not that one" Engstrom